By Bisi Akande – The Inspirer
Life is a journey filled with unexpected twists and turns. It can be both exhilarating and challenging, often presenting us with situations we never anticipated. Some of these moments are positive, while others can be quite trying.
I recall a pivotal moment from my early adulthood when I was asked to address a large audience of adults. The mere thought of speaking in front of such a gathering almost paralyzed me with fear. I had experience speaking to my peers, but this was an entirely different scenario. If I had a choice, I would have run away, but circumstances demanded otherwise.
What saved me on that day was the preparation I had undertaken over time. I had cultivated a habit of reading at least four books a month and spent ample time listening to accomplished speakers. As I stood before that audience, I drew upon the knowledge and skills I had built within myself, not only delivering a successful talk but also creating opportunities for future speaking engagements. Building my capacity had enabled me to seize the moment when it arrived.
Life, however, is not always about positive surprises. It can throw some harsh challenges our way. When these challenges arise, it’s the extent of our preparation that determines whether we will weather the storm or succumb to it.
Building capacity is, in essence, engaging with the future before it unfolds. It’s about preparing ourselves for what lies ahead. While we may not always know what’s coming, we are better equipped to face it if we have readied ourselves in advance. As the saying goes, “Dig your well before you are thirsty.”
Building capacity involves understanding three crucial aspects:
1. Your current reality.
2. Your desired future state.
3. The customized steps needed to bridge the gap.
In my personal journey of growth, I have come to rely on four key words: Enlarge, Stretch, Lengthen, and Strengthen. Let’s delve into each of them:
Enlarge Your Space
To enlarge is to expand beyond your current limits. It means becoming bigger on the inside to grow greater on the outside. Enlarging yourself enables you to accommodate more in life, transforming you into a better version of yourself.
– Review your belief system: Your beliefs shape your reality. What you believe is what you become. Ensure your beliefs are aligned with your aspirations.
– Re-examine the impact of your choices: Your choices determine your destiny. Evaluate the choices you’ve made and their influence on your current circumstances.
Stretch Yourself Some More
Much like how a woman must stretch during childbirth, stretching in life allows you to reach new heights. It’s about pushing beyond your comfort zone and embracing growth.
– Rethink your vision: Your vision should evolve with you. Reassess your goals and dreams periodically to ensure they’re aligned with your current life stage.
– Face new challenges: Challenges are opportunities in disguise. Embrace them as opportunities to grow and evolve.
– Set new standards: Establishing personal standards ensures you stay on the path to self-improvement.
Lengthen Your Space
Lengthening involves extending your reach and visibility, attracting more opportunities.
– Adapt to future changes: Stay agile and adapt to the evolving landscape. Holding onto outdated skills can hinder your progress.
– Challenge yourself regularly: Trying new things opens doors to unexplored possibilities.
Strengthen Yourself to Stand Strong
Building strength enhances resilience and your ability to overcome adversity.
– Be planted in your calling or assignment: Find clarity in your purpose and commit to it consistently.
– Deepen your moral values: Upholding strong moral principles provides a solid foundation for a fulfilling life.
– Develop your faith: Faith is a powerful tool. Cultivate faith in yourself and your journey, as it can help you access what you need for the present and the future.
In conclusion, life’s surprises can be either delightful or demanding, but by building our capacity, we can navigate them with grace and resilience. Remember, it’s not about the challenges you face; it’s about how you grow through them.
Wishing you a journey filled with growth, resilience, and fulfilment.