By Toyin Olugbemi
Ways to Enjoying God’s mercy
This is the continuation of the discussion on obtaining mercy. You need to tap into all that the mercy of God can deliver, and it is important to know how you can enjoy this mercy of God.
- Cry to the Lord for mercy: This is most needful. God is merciful and He has provided for a day when the repentant and the penitent shall cry to Him and they shall be saved. A classic example is the case of the people of Nineveh when Jonah was sent to preach to them to possibly avoid the imminent overthrow of the city for their wickedness, unless they repented. The people of Nineveh, right from the king to the smallest, repented and cried to God. Nineveh was spared because the mercy of God located the people (Psalm 86:3).
- Be Born Again: Repentance from sin, (that is, turning from and forsaking sin) and accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour are most fundamental preconditions for enjoying the mercies of God (John 3:3-5). Except he cries in repentance for mercy and salvation, the mercy of God is far removed from the wicked or sinful person, and his prayer will not be heard (Proverbs 15:8-9).
- Mercy begets mercy: To receive mercy, you must be merciful to others. This is one of the heavenly kingdom’s grand norms. It is an inviolable principle of kingdom life (Luke 6:38). To obtain mercy, you must also give or show mercy to others. It’s important.
- Trust wholly in God: Your confidence in God must not be shaky. God is love and His mercies endure forever. Put your total trust in the Lord. He is the Father of mercies (2 Corinthians 1:3).
- You must be a true worshipper: True worshippers are being sought by God. God is on the lookout for those who worship Him in Spirit and in truth. That is perhaps why David is described as a man after His heart who would forever enjoy God’s sure mercies. May the sure mercies of the Lord be ours just like David’s. Worship the Lord intensely for who He is and you will be positioned for His tender mercies. You will do well worshipping God, singing and confessing these Psalms: 106, 107, 118, 136 and 138. They tell of the riches, depth, expansiveness and wonders of the mercies of God.
- Be hopeful: God is never late and His mercies can be banked upon. Remember His mercy and faithfulness to Abraham. He never lost hope in God and the durability of His mercies in faithfulness (Romans 4:18-22).
- Walk in total obedience to God’s word: God’s mercies are for them that fear and please Him. Are you answering to the call of God on you or you have been telling Him to leave you for now till you have attained some minimum level of comfort, social standing or professional achievement? Your calling should not wait. Start to do what He has called you today and from now on, His mercies will be multiplied to you. Doing your God-given assignment, where and as commanded, will definitely provoke the mercy of God (Psalm 25:10).
Seeing that those who know, fear, love, trust, obey, diligently serve, and worship the Lord in Spirit and in truth, and who also are prayerful, are the ones that God will most assured be merciful to, then it can safely be said that there is no one that God cannot show mercy. However, what is certain is that unrepentant sinners, liars, the unforgiving, those with seared conscience and the like, are not ever to be expected to make it to the kingdom of God. I pray you will make it; I will make it in Jesus name.