All parishes are to make remittance to the headquarters through their provinces. The remittance regime is expected to be faithfully adhered to. Failure to make prompt and accurate remittances by any pastor is viewed as an act of disobedience and rebellion against the authority of the mission. Only parishes that are established in less than six (6) months are exempted from making remittances.
(4) EXPENDITURE PROCEDURES
The treasurer prepares the payment voucher, which is authorized by the pastor and signed by the payee. Cheques could be used for large disbursement while the imprest account should be kept for small expenses. The treasurer is the imprest holder. Every expenditure must be approved by the pastor but actual disbursement is by the treasurer.
There are financial guidelines which prescribes expenditure limits for all expense heads, currently operational at the provincial level. Similar guidelines are in the pipeline for all levels.
These guidelines and guiding documents should be followed. They are part of the operational tools for auditors and monitoring teams.
(5) RECORD KEEPING AND REPORTING
Proper records must be kept. The treasurer keeps the record and prepares regular reports, such as:
- Income analysis register
- Bank/Cash books
- Petty Cash book
- Asset register
REASONS FOR RECORD KEEPING
- To be like God (Revelation 20:12-15).
- Because of others who wish to know.
- Because of yourself; to safeguard you as a steward.
- Because of accountability in heaven (Romans 14:12).
BENEFITS OF RECORD KEEPING
- It helps proper accountability.
- It enables quick access to financial information.
- It helps in financial planning and management.
- It enhances the credibility and integrity of the financial operators.
EXPECTATION FROM THE PARISHES
- Records must be available.
- Someone (called Responsible Officer) must be in charge.
- There must be compliance to the mission’s accounting standard.
- There must be compliance to the mission’s remittance policy.
- National funds, i.e., Remittances must be carried out as at when due.
MINISTERIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE STRUCTURE REQUIRED FOR EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT OF HUMAN AND FINANCIAL RESOURCES
- Parish or Branch – first level.
- Area – Comprises of a number of Parishes.
- Zone – Comprises of a number of Areas.
- Province (District) – is made up of many Zones.
- Region – made up of a number of Provinces.
- National – the overall headquarters.